Thursday, October 7, 2010

The Best Protein Powders in Australia

Having trained for many years and tried a plethora of protein powder supplements (many from the annual fitness expo!), I feel that I now have a sound idea about which are the best protein powders in Australia.
Honestly, I have tasted protein powders that I have struggled to finish drinking (and I’m quite adventurous when it comes to taste). Two products in particular stand out, but I’m not going to mention the brands because they have since updated their formula’s (thankfully!).
On the flip side, I have also tasted some AMAZING protein powder supplements – particularly in the past few years as much more development has gone into the taste of the products.
But it’s not all about taste. The quality, price and constituents of protein powders are all very important when it comes to deciding which supplement to use.
With so many products out there, it can be confusing where to begin. So, below, I have listed the four best protein powders in Australia, for different reasons:
The Best Tasting Protein Powder in Australia
I really cannot go past Optimum 100% Gold Standard Whey. They have a number of flavours, all of which taste amazing! In saying this, there are other protein powders that are just as good tasting in my opinion. Yet why this product gets my vote is because of the quality of the constituents as well as the taste. It’s primarily whey protein isolate, with whey protein concentrates as a secondary ingredient.
The Best Value Protein Powder in Australia
My definition of value considers two primary factors – product quality and price. Dymatize Elite Whey comes in a 4.5kg box, is a blend of whey protein concentrate and isolate (in that order) and is significantly more cost effective that the Optimum protein powders.
The Best Quality Protein Powder in Australia
This must go to AST Sports Science VP2. VP2 is a partially hydrolysed whey protein isolate protein powder. Whilst the label says that it is “100% hydrolysed”, this refers to the fact that 100% of the protein has undergone the hydrolysation process. Hydrolysation enhances the rate of protein absorption to boost muscle synthesis and recovery following a workout. Ultimately, the quicker you can absorb amino acids, the more effective that workout will be. VP2 has been a world leader for many years and continues to remain right at the top of the list. But of course with the added quality comes the additional cost (albeit not excessive).
The Best Natural Protein Powder in Australia
I blogged about Dymatize All Natural Elite Whey not long ago, mentioning that it contained no artificial sweeteners, flavours or preservatives are added into this product. Better yet, there is no sugar either!
Having consumed this protein powder regularly for a little while, I must say, the taste is really growing on me. It’s not quite as sweet as the other powders on the market, but I really think that it’s a good thing. Plus, it’s primarily whey protein isolates!

So there you have it. There are another bunch of protein powder supplements that I could add to this list, but these four products tend to really stand out.

No comments: